Smooth, rich chocolate cake, filled with buttercream and a colourful surprise inside!
Shop all the ingredients for this delicious cake at Woolworths Metro.
1. Preheat oven to 180°c. Grease two deep, 20cm cake pans. Line bases with baking paper.
2. Beat butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each.
3. Sift flours and cocoa together. Fold into butter mixture, in batches and alternating with milk. Add in vanilla and stir.
4. Divide cake batter evenly between cake pans and smooth the surfaces. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn onto wire racks and cool completely.
6. To make the buttercream frosting, beat butter in a bowl until pale. Gradually add icing sugar to the butter, beating until creamy.
7. Add milk and chocolate, and stir until smooth.
8. Trim tops of cakes so they are flat. Slice cakes in half horizontally to make four layers.
9. Stack two layers on top of each other and, using a 10cm cutter, cut a round from the centre.
10. Place one whole cake layer onto a stand. Spread with some of the buttercream frosting.
11. Spread the tops of both of the cut layers with a little buttercream. Stack on top of each other, then place onto the first layer.
12. Coat the inside of the cut out with more buttercream. Fill the centre with 200g of easter eggs still in foil. Top with remaining whole cake layer.
13. Spread remaining buttercream over top and sides of cake. Decorate top with 200g of easter eggs, unwrapping them from foil before placing them.
14. Chill for 30 minutes or until firm, then serve.
For more great Easter recipes and ideas head to the Woolworths website.