March 20 is the International Day of Happiness and this year’s theme is Happier Together, focusing on what we have in common, rather than what divides us.
A profound shift in attitudes is underway all over the world. People are starting to recognise that ‘progress’ should be about increasing human happiness and wellbeing, not just growing the economy.
Happiness looks different for everyone, but there is no denying that we all share a basic desire to be happy – and life is happier when we’re living harmoniously. So let’s celebrate our common humanity!
Stuck for inspiration or actions you can take to celebrate International Day of Happiness? Don’t panic! We’ve rounded up some simple ways for you to celebrate!
1. Buy someone a coffee.
2. Smile at someone on your way to work.
3. Buy some fresh baked treats on your way to work and leave them on your co-worker’s desks anonymously.
4. Call someone you haven’t spoken to in a while to catch up – ask them what has gone well recently.
5. Send flowers to a friend or loved one.
6. Send a gratitude letter to an old teacher.
7. Make dinner for someone you care about.
8. Do something that makes YOU happy. Take a walk, read a book, treat yourself to a favourite food from your childhood.
9. Do one random act of kindness for a stranger. Offer a helping hand to someone struggling with their shopping bags or pay for someone’s groceries.